How to Search and Use Waseda Doctoral Dissertations
Dissertations are the academic papers which are submitted to receive degrees. In a wide sense, the word "dissertations" includes bachelor's theses and master theses, but mainly it indicates the doctoral dissertations.
Holdings of each theses in the Waseda University Library
- [Doctoral dissertations] Dissertations (of "doctors after completing a course" and "doctors by thesis only" in both old and new system) submitted to Waseda University are stored by the Waseda University Library. Coverage (as of April, 2017) is from 1924 to September 2016 (up to diploma number 7371).
- [Master Theses] The usage of master theses may differ in each school. Please refer to "Find Masters Theses (Waseda)" page for details.
- [Bachelor's Theses] We do not hold graduation theses in the library. Please consult at the administrative office of each school.
How to use doctoral dissertations
How to search doctoral dissertations
Dissertations submitted to Waseda University can be searched by WINE. Please refer to the instruction page "How to search the dissertations submitted to Waseda University (in Japanese only)
" for more detail. Actually a small part of them are not searchable through WINE, please check the "List of the dissertations which cannot be searched by WINE (in Japanese only)
" page too.
How to access to doctoral dissertations
- WINE： Some of the dissertations (only submitted after 2002 and agreed to open to public by authors) have a link displayed "本文全文" for full text PDF files on WINE's detail page.
* In principal, Japanese doctoral theses submitted after April 1st, 2013 are supposed to be published on the internet, according to the revision of the Rules for Degrees by Japanese government. Doctoral theses submitted to Waseda University after 2013 are available at Waseda University Repository. For dissertations not available at Waseda University Repository, electronic files are available in the Microforms/Photographic Services Room on the 4th Floor of Central Library.
- Digitized materials by National Diet Library (NDL)： Some of doctoral dissertations submitted to NDL during 1991 to 2000 are digitized and opened to public. It involves the doctoral dissertations submitted to Waseda University.
- The doctoral dissertations submitted before March 2013 are stored at the Honjo Deposit Library. If you need to browse them, please take the procedure below. Please be noted that it takes about few days to transfer them (generally, it takes about 1-3 days).
*For those who have Waseda ID: Please log in to MyWaseda and find "Library online request" in the menu of "Research※". ※Staff: in the menu of "Tasks".
*For those who do not have Waseda ID: Please consult at the reference desk in the Central Library, or in each campus library.
- Doctoral dissertations submitted to the Graduate School of Human Sciences are also stored at the Tokorozawa Library.
- Doctoral dissertations submitted to the Graduate School of Education are also stored at the School Library (School of Education).
- Besides the dissertations, abstracts of the dissertations had been published from 1989 to 2001. Those are located in the reference book area (R091) in the 2nd floor of the Central Library, and also in each campus library. Please search WINE for the details.
Photocopying Doctoral Dissertations
Users are allowed to take a photocopy of doctoral dissertations within a limitation of copyright law.
Users need to have a permission of the author to take a whole copy of a dissertation. Generally, we do not take a contact to the author, so users have to take a contact by themselves. Each individual will be assumed a full responsibility for the copyright matter on photocopying.
Matters to be attended for accessing doctoral dissertations in online format
- Copyright of the dissertations which are open to public in Waseda University's websites belongs to the authors and the dissertations are protected with copyright law and international treaties.
- Users can download or printout the contents for a purpose of his/her research within a limited scope.
- Users cannot take actions which are deemed as copyright infringement such as making a whole copy of a work, transferring or revising the contents without the permission of the authors.
- If a person acts against these matters and causes damage or loss to the copyright holder or the university, we may take a strict action to the person such as requesting a compensation for the damage.
Doctoral dissertations cannot be checked out
Please use them only inside the library.